*** This position has now been filled.***
We are looking for a full time, permanent Web Developer to help take our family of data-backed products forwards, improve our internal data processes, and generally help make data accessible to a wide range of audiences with a social goal.
You will be working within our team of around 12 people, collaborating closely with our existing developers, researchers, product owners, and communication officers. The role is a great opportunity to be heavily involved in some well-established products that help a wide range of Local Authorities, Public Sector Organisations and Housing Associations to make better informed decisions.
Sounds like my cup of tea – what does OCSI do?
Based in Brighton, we are a social research consultancy with a strong technical focus. We use our expertise in research and technology to provide tools, analysis and support for organisations working for social good. We work at the cutting-edge of data, digital and public sector – take a look at http://ocsi.uk/ to find out more about the projects we are working on.
So, what will the Web Developer do?
The Web Developer will play a key role as part of the OCSI technical team. The role will include
- Planning and building the technical aspects of user-facing feature developments, with a particular focus on browser-based front-end development and interaction with our server-side systems via APIs
- Getting to grips with our existing codebase and infrastructure, helping the team to take it forwards to meet the needs of the products
- Working with the team to decide priorities and feasibility of upcoming work
- Understanding and resolving technical queries from users, in collaboration with our user support team
- Developing tools which can benefit the whole team
- Feeding into ongoing discussions on how to improve our processes and work
Great! And what skills do I need to fit the bill?
We are looking for:
- A confident communicator (both spoken and written), preferably with previous experience in a small team
- Some experience with PHP, relational databases (MySQL preferable), and general LAMP stack is helpful
- Experience with collaboration tools, such as git, Jira, Confluence, Slack, etc.
- Someone who can pick up and delve into an existing codebase to find out what makes it tick, and report back in a clear manner
- Somebody that can explain complex technical issues in a way that non-techies can understand
- A fast and enthusiastic learner, able to get up-to-speed or pick up new technologies quickly
- Somebody that uses their initiative and happy working in a fast-paced office.
Anything else I should know?
You’ll be based in our Brighton office in the vibrant North Laine cafes and pubs quarter, about 20 minutes walk from the sea. There may be occasional travel to London and further afield for meetings as required. This is a full-time role, although we can be flexible if that is important to you.
What we offer
- 30 days annual holiday
- Annual performance-related bonus
- Training & development fund
- Office perks: Tea & coffee, fruit-bowl and snacks, table football, Friday beers/soft drinks
- Employer-matched pension contributions
- Salary in the range of £22-27k, depending on experience
How to apply
If you like the sound of all this, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] . For more information or for an informal chat regarding the role, please contact Graham Lally by email at [email protected] or ring 01273 810270
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 18th October and we are looking to schedule interviews for the week beginning 30th October 2017. However we reserve the right to fill the position early.
We look forward to hearing from you!
*** This position has now been filled***