*** THIS POSITION HAS NOW BEEN FILLED ***
We are looking for a Junior Data Researcher to join the team at OCSI.
The data & research role at OCSI is a great starting point for anybody wanting to get into quantitative research or data science. It offers the opportunity to use statistical and analytical skills to help public sector and social organisations effectively plan, target and evaluate programmes.
Sounds like my cup of tea – what does OCSI do?
Based in Brighton, we are a social research consultancy with a strong technical focus. We use our expertise in research and technology to provide tools, analysis and support for organisations working for social good. We work at the cutting-edge of data, digital and public sector – take a look at https://ocsi.uk/ to find out more about the projects we are working on.
So, what does a Junior Data Researcher do?
The successful candidate will play a key role as part of the OCSI research team primarily involved with supporting and maintaining the data on our mapping products Local Insight and Community Insight. The role will include:
- Capturing data and maintaining our database of socio-economic datasets
- Exploring the open data landscape to identify indicators for inclusion in our tools and data services
- Quality Assurance – validating data and report outputs to ensure that the information we are presenting is correct.
- Creating reports and data visualisations to explain key messages from the data
- Supporting on research projects, including write up, analysis and production of visualisations to be incorporated into reports
- Developing research briefings and blogs for use by the OCSI team and published externally.
- Working alongside the User Support team to answer queries relating to the data in our products.
You’ll also be developing your quantitative research skills. This could potentially involve learning to use statistical software (STATA), data integration software (FME) and database management software (MySQL).
As part of the role, we will also encourage you to get involved with other aspects of OCSI’s work, which may for example include gaining experience of client meetings, user support, marketing and communications.
Great! And what skills do I need to fit the bill?
We are looking for:
- Good quantitative research skills, comfortable analysing data in Microsoft Excel or other standard packages
- Good knowledge of descriptive statistics, and an eye for detail
- A keen contributor to team-work meetings, also able to work alone when required
- Good written skills, able to communicate confidently with clients as well as the OCSI team, and a good listener & questioner.
- An interest in social and public policy issues, and different ways to help tackle social problems
- A fast learner, able to get up-to-speed quickly and use initiative.
Bonus skills/ experience (desirable, but not essential).
- Experience of using statistical software e.g. Stata, and/ or data integration software e.g. FME, or database management software e.g. MySQL
Anything else I should know?
The starting salary will be £20,000 per annum. This is a full-time role, although we can be flexible if that is important to you. This is a permanent role, with a 12 month probationary period.
You’ll be based in our Brighton office in the vibrant North Laine cafes and pubs quarter. There may be occasional travel to London and further afield for meetings as required.
What we offer
- 30 days annual holiday + bank holidays (pro rata)
- Annual performance-related bonus
- Training & development fund
- Flexible working hours
- Office perks: Tea & coffee, fruit-bowl and snacks
How to apply
If you like the sound of all this, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or for an informal chat regarding the role, please contact Stefan Noble by email (email@example.com) or ring 01273 810270
The deadline for applications is Friday 21st September and we are looking to schedule interviews from the week beginning 24th September.
We reserve the right to fill the position early.
We look forward to hearing from you!
****NO AGENCIES PLEASE!**